close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

City Clerk


                                                                     Molly Sanchez                                                            Sarah Locklar                                               
                                                                         City Clerk                                                               Deputy City Clerk                                         
                                                               575-395-3340 Ext. 229                                               575-395-3340 Ext. 222     

To accurately document the legislative actions of the City Council; to efficiently organize, safeguard and make records accessible to staff and the public; to make government open and available to individuals via technology and personal assistance; to oversee free and open city elections for voters, impartially and in full accordance with the law; to offer respectful service to all customers with the highest standards of integrity and professionalism; and to collaboratively foster a courteous and enjoyable work environment for all.


If you’re operating a business for profit in Jal, you must have a gross receipts tax identification number and a City of Jals’ business registration.
In an effort to educate the public about the laws of the City, we are providing the following information regarding the most common types of licenses needed to conduct business within the City. If you have specific questions about what type of license is required for you, please contact City Hall at 575-395-3340.

State Law - Gross Receipts Tax Identification Number

All persons engaging in business in New Mexico must register with the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department to obtain a "Combined Reporting System" (CRS) identification number. The CRS is the Department’s method for reporting the state’s major business taxes: gross receipts tax, all local option gross receipts taxes, compensating tax, and withholding tax. The CRS identification number is your state tax identification number and is commonly called the gross receipts tax identification number.

There is no fee to obtain a CRS identification number. There are two ways to obtain a CRS identification number. The first way to obtain a CRS identification number is to submit an application to the local tax office in Roswell in person, by mail or fax and you may expect to receive your CRS identification number within one week. The second way to obtain a CRS identification number is to apply online. Online registration is available at: A CRS identification number will be automatically generated once registration is complete.

Gross Receipts Tax Rate

The gross receipts tax rate for persons engaging in business from a physical location within the Jal City Limits is 7.4375%. Even if your business is providing goods or services outside the City Limits or County Limits, if you are a Jal-based business, you must charge sales tax and remit those taxes to the State.

License Fees:

1. Local business establishments. License fees for local business establishments are:
  • $10 per annum on businesses employing from one to four individuals, including the owner or operator;
  • $15 per annum on businesses employing from five to ten individuals, including the owner or operator; and
  • $30 per annum on businesses employing over ten individuals, including the owner or operator.

2. Out-of-town businesses. License fees for out-of-town businesses are:

  • $8 per day or $40 per year on all individuals soliciting orders for goods or services, which individuals do not have a business location established in the city;
  • $50 per day on all palmists, clairvoyants, fortune tellers, and phrenologists; and
  • $150 per day on carnivals and circuses unless same are sponsored by an established local civic club or religious organization.

 (Chapter 110, Sec. 110.07 of the Jal Ordinance Code)

All annual licenses shall expire on December 30th in the year when it was issued. Renewals may be obtained by mail or in person at the City Clerk's Office at City Hall, 309 Main St., Jal, New Mexico. If your business is no longer in operation, please contact the Clerk's Office to have your business registration cancelled.
As a reminder, if your business is required to have a New Mexico gross receipts tax number, the Jals City Code requires a business registration for each business location.

The City Clerks office maintains all records at both Jal and Cooper Cemetery and issues purchase certificates.

The Planning and Zoning Department provides development services that address long-range and short-range planning and development within the City of Jal. Planning & Zoning application/variance must be submitted to the Jal City Clerks Office.

Note: Applications are not considered complete until all required information is submitted for approval and all review questions satisfactorily answered by applicant.

Zoning Map
Zoning is constantly changing so if you have a question on a specific property, contact our office. 

Right to Inspect Public Records

By law, under the Inspection of Public Records Act, every person has the right to inspect public records of the City of Jal, New Mexico. The Act also makes compliance with requests to inspect public records an integral part of the routine duties of the officers and employees of the City of Jal, New Mexico.
IPRA Compliance Guide
OMA Compliance Guide 
IPRA Fees 
Request to Inspect Public Records Form 

For instructions on how to register to vote, please visit the New Mexico Secretary of State Voter Services webpage, linked below:

Birth and death records are maintained by the State of New Mexico, Vital Records & Health Statistics,
(505) 827-0121 or Toll Free (866) 534-0051.

Marriage licenses are issued by the Lea County Clerk's Office in Lovington, New Mexico, (575) 396-8619.